Tuesday, February 19, 2008

One month in Danmark!!!


So yesterday was my one-month anniversary- I wasn't expecting flowers or balloons so that’s okay that you forgot to send some, or if you did I'm sure they are just lost in the post right.
After being in Danmark a month I think I am getting used to life over here there are still the simple things that make me really excited and some things that make me go "this country is so weird!"

The main things would have to be
School- There is still a lot of weird things about school. Mainly the whole no bell thing and also I'm still getting used to dressing up for school. I do have my rungi days where I just wear trackies and a top for example today. The teachers can get quite nasty when you forget to bring your book, this happened to me yesterday in History. I tried explaining that I didn’t see much point in bringing my text books when I couldn’t understand anything but she still insisted that I need to bring it everyday and then she spoke in Danish to me and apparently she was telling me off.

Food- No one really snacks so they just eat the three main meals and the food can taste either really good or really bad! luckily I haven’t had that many bad meals so far. Dessert is only served at special occasions and I have finally tasted rødgrødmedfløde ( I swear that’s the hardest Danish word, and everyone always trys to make me say it) but yes so picture strawberry jam and a bit of cream and that is basically rødgrødmedfløde not exactly what I was expecting but it was still good in a very weird way! On the weekends families have chocolate on their buns for breakfast. Most people don’t eat toast for breakfast they have these weird breakfast buns that kind of look like hamburger buns.

Discoteks- These are the Danish equivalent to New Zealand clubs. They are completely different over here, the boys buy you drinks ( not that I have been drinking of course) and the dance floor is in the centre and basically you sit on the couches surrounding the dance floor drinking your "raspberry and cokes" and then when a good song comes on you rush to the dance floor and dance with all the people. Also everyone comes together at discoteks like its okay for members of the "older" generation to be there dancing.

Transport- It is so easy to get around in Danmark. The main way of transportation in your hometown is by biking. This is a good way to get around and it also gives you freedom. When you want to travel to other places in Danmark and you go by train. The trains run on time and are usually comfortable. I have gotten used to riding trains now, the only bad thing is when you get off at the wrong station...

Then there are the little things like how everything is so expensive over here; you ride on the right not the left. Bikes have their own little bike paths, everyone looks and dresses much older then they are, you can buy alcohol in the supermarket and at little supermarkets.

So its been a busy past week, I got home from Language Camp on Sunday. I had been there for a whole week learning Danish with all the other Inbounders in Danmark. There was so many Australians there- I think there was 30 Australians, 15 Brazilians, 5 New Zealanders, 3 Argentineans and 2 South Africans. There were about 45 girls and only 7 boys!

My arrival to Language Camp was a bit stressful, I got off the train in Bjeniningbro and no one was there to pick me up so I realised I had got off at the wrong train station. I reach into my handbag to ring my councillor and ask for help when I realise I have left my mobile on the train, this means I am basically stranded in a strange town which I know nothing about, I have no way to contact anyone and I can't remember any mobile numbers. I do have one number and that is my district councillor’s number so I walk around the town trying to find a pay phone- all the shops are closed because it is Sunday. I finally find one and call him and he tells me I can just walk to the high school because it is in the area. However he neglected to tell me the way to the school so I find a taxi and he calls my district councillor and gets the name of the school and takes me to the school for free yay!

The week was real fun and I picked up on some Danish which is godt! The people were so nice and I took heaps of photos. Unfortunately my memory card is stuck is Helens (my roomie from New Zealand) laptop. She wanted to have my photos so she put it in her laptop. The laptop is being sent back to New Zealand because it has to be taken apart for some strange reason so I probably wont get my photos for about 2 or 3 months.
We had a party on the last night and that was awesome, we all dressed up real nice and had a banquet. The music started and we all started dancing, the Brazilians are awesome dancers! Was a real fun night I was dancing on the tables ( and yes I was sober)

It was sad leaving the camp because it was so godt to talk Kiwi again and not have to slow down when I was talking and just being able to talk and not having to think before speaking. I had to change trains and I had a one hour wait in this tiny as station that was just a room, I then went to sleep on the train and woke up thinking I had missed my stop so I jump up and run to the door but we pull away just as I get there but thankfully it wasn’t my stop.

I am settling back into life in "The Bro" and am speaking the Danish that I know, I used my knowledge on the train to talk to a guy. I said Hej Jeg hedder Megan, Jeg kommer fra New Zealand Hvad med dig? Then I asked Hvad er Klokken the Du er Single? and Hvor gammel du?
Which is basically Hi my name is Megan, I’m from New Zealand, what about you. Then I asked him what the time was and if he was single and how old he was. So I think I'm on my way to learning Danish.

I am going to the theatre on Friday to see Les Miserables, which is so awesome! Although it has just occurred to me that it will all be in Danish... But im sure i should be able to pick up the storyline.

Hope everyone has a godt week
Kys Kys
Megz

No comments: